By: Deron Mays
* Sag Hollow's first 18 hole scramble of the season will be held Saturday, May 11th and will be a fund raiser for the Owsley County 4-H Youth Development program. Registration is at 9:30 AM and tee off time is approximately 10:00 AM. Entry fee is $50 per golfer and the teams will be put together according to the A-B-C-D formula. The entry fee will include 2 mulligans and refreshments. Prizes are $800 for first place, $400 for second place and $200 for third place. Prize money totals will be based on a 40 player field. There will also be closest to the pin and straightest drive prizes. For more information contact Jacob Brandenburg at 606-593-5109 or call the clubhouse at 606-593-GOLF.
* Jacob Anderson won Tuesday's league play competition when he carded a +1 score in the Stableford system now used in league play at the course. Jacob's Stableford handicap is 18 and he scored a 19. In the Stableford system a "plus" sign is what is wanted rather than a "minus" sign seen in traditional golf scoring methods. Per each hole played the golfer earns 6 points for an eagle, 4 points for a birdie, 2 points for pars, 1 points for a bogey and 0 points for double bogeys or worse. Tim Pennington won the two-man team portion of the league when he drew the Ace card and was permitted to count his -1 score as a team score. Tim also won the closest to the pin prize on the par 3 number 3 hole.
* Thursday's skins game was cancelled due to inclement weather conditions.
* Eric Mason's team came in second in the big Derby Day scramble held at Estill County Golf Club. The team shot -13 and was beaten on the last hole by a team that chipped in a birdie. His team won over $1200 for the second place finish after entry fee deductions. Sag Hollow members have fared well in the Estill Derby Day Scramble over the years. Two years ago Randy Osborne's team won first place.
* Eight year old Sag Hollow member Nathan Chapman of Jackson, Ky. shot a -2 (34 on a par 36 layout) in a Bluegrass tournament held over the weekend and won first place in the US Kids Golf Kentucky event. Nathan is one of the best in the state in his age division and will be competing in tournaments in Kentucky and the southeast throughout the year. The lefty is coached by his granddad John Paul Chapman.
* Sag Hollow contact info: The clubhouse phone number is 593-GOLF, website is saghollowgolf.com
, and the club is also on Facebook.