As many celebrate the Thanksgiving holiday with loved ones, a Garrard County family is laying their beloved mother to rest following a one-car accident on Ky. 80 in Manchester.

The family of Karen Arnold held visitation Tuesday night in Lancaster for their mother as they’re still trying to piece together the mystery of why she was in Manchester.

According to Arnold’s daughter, Olivia Gardner, also of Lancaster, her 62-year-old mother left their home that day to go to Wal-Mart.

“She was making a trip to Wal-Mart and coming back home to take her 96-year-old father to get a flu shot,” Gardner said.  “None of us understand why or how she got to Manchester.”

Lancaster is approximately 69 mile from Manchester and takes nearly an hour and a half, according to Google maps.

“We have no connection to Manchester or Clay County,” Gardner said.  “None of this makes any sense to us.”

Arnold’s daughter, Donna Johnson and son Wesley Cravens, both say this is a mystery to them.

“I talked to her that morning,” Johnson said.  “She seemed normal and fine.  I don’t understand this at all.”

Cravens echoed his sister’s sentiments and said, “we have no connection there, I have no idea why she would have been in Manchester.”

Gardner says her mother, who worked for Baptist Health for years in hospitality, had been sick lately and feels she may have had a seizure.

“That’s the only thing I can think of,” she said.

Gardner’s assessment of her mother matches what police and witnesses say could have caused the single-vehicle accident.

Arnold’s Kia Soul was traveling west on Ky. 80 after possibly exiting Hal Rogers Parkway around 4 p.m. Wednesday, November 20th.

“A witness said as she passed Huddle House traveling west, the Kia Soul did not navigate the slight curve in the highway and entered in the gravel lot to her left,” said Manchester City Police officer Jason Combs.  “At that time, she hit a small fence knocking off her mirror and continued to travel through the vacant lot.  She went over the embankment along Horse Creek and her vehicle was stopped by trees.”

The witness immediately called 911 and personnel with the Clay Emergency Medical Services and Lockard’s Creek/Manchester Fire Departments responded.

They extricated Arnold from her vehicle as she was non-responsive.  She was flown to the University of Kentucky Medical Center where she later died.

According to Gardner, doctors said she had internal injuries and the bleeding could not be stopped.

“This has taken such a toll on us and her father,” she said.  “We don’t understand how or why any of this happened.”

Recommended for you